The Safety Net for your Software RAID
Versions 1.2, 2.0 and 3.0
Now compatible with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) in addition to Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5
RAID Alert is a unique application that continuously monitors attached RAID systems based on the free (Mac OS X built-in) RAID software. It will inform you about any RAID systems' status changes (esp. failures) via email, a notification dialog and an alert sound.
Never again will a hard disk failure go unnoticed - even on unattended headless servers!
External background information:
- What is a software RAID set and why do I want one to secure my valuable data?
- How do I create a mirrored software RAID using the Apple Disk Utility?
A Real-World Test for RAID-Alert:
- Create a mirrored (i.e. level 1) RAID set using Apple Disk Utility using two hard disks using either internal versions or external Firewire drives.
- Do not (yet) put valuable data onto it!
- Configure RAID Alert and check if everything works using the "Test Alarm" button within the RAID Alert preferences pane!
- Disconnect one of the RAID drives while the RAID volume is mounted.
- Wait for the RAID Alert, informing you about the new (degraded) RAID status.
- Open Disk Utility and rebuild the RAID set.
Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6, Apple software RAID level 1
Note: Please download the version for your Mac OS (10.4.x, 10.5.x, 10.6.x) and check this web site for updates prior to upgrading to a new major OS X version.
If you encounter a problem or have a question, please let us know. You reach our support staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.